The last week has been one of the hardest weeks I have had in a long time. The week started off with Adam leaving last Monday for his new job about 1 1/2 hrs west of Denver in Fairplay, Colorado. I got spoiled the last few months having him home. He was home majority of December and January because of an accident. February he was down in Phoenix while we were still in Cortez but I was so busy packing it didn't effect me much and I had some people to hang out with. March we may have been hotel living and then moving into our new home but at least we were together every night. So as I said it started off with him leaving Monday. Thursday afternoon while the kids were at a neighbour in our ward so I could go to a pregnancy checkup Katie got extremely sick and puked all over their house. I felt horrible. She didn't even call to tell me cause she knew I needed to go to my check up. She continued to be extremely sick Friday to the point where she couldn't even sit up on her own. So Saturday morning I called our RS president, who I had only met briefly once at church, to see if she knew anyone who could help watch CJ so I could take Katie to the hospital. She immediately volunteered. Little did I know she has 6 kids ranging from a toddler to young teens. I took Katie to the Phoenix Children's Hospital and as we were arriving 2 of the brethren from the ward called and said the bishop asked them to contact me about coming to give my daughter a blessing. So we got to the hospital and they started running test. They got an IV going cause she was extremely dehydrated. That was heartbreaking to see. They had to poke her twice because she was so dry she immediatly clotted in her hand so they went to her arm. To watch/hold your child not understand why they are in pain is the hardest thing to see. I knew I had to stay strong and not cry so she would know everything would be ok. After they got the IV started they took her for X-Ray cause her abdomen was distended. Again another heartbreaking procedure to watch. She was so scared because I couldn't be in the room being pregnant and had to be held down by the nurse. After that we went for an ultrasound. This was a lot better. She had seen me get one just days before and I was right next to her. After that we went back to the room to let her rest and let the magic of an IV work. It was amazing to see that after she had gotten half a bag of saline she started to perk up and become her normal goofy self. It turned out that on top of being dehydrated she had an extreme case of gastroenteritis, the flu, and early signs of a UTI. Her abdomen was distended cause of air pockets from diarrhea, thankfully nothing serious. So after 5 hours of being in the ER we were released.

Being wheeled to x-ray

After a bag of saline

After the IV was removed

So we just took it easy Saturday night after getting home from the hospital. Later that night CJ woke up extremely sick. He started puking and running a fever. It was his first time really ever being sick. So Sunday I contacted one of the brethren who had come to the hospital the day before to come give him a blessing in hopes to avoid another hospital visit. When I called his wife answered cause he was gone and she immediately offered to bring dinner that night knowing how hard it is to have little kids and be pregnant. CJ was able to recieve a blessing that afternoon and immediately showed signs he wasn't getting as sick as Katie. His fever was barely over 100 and was able to keep fluids down. Since the moment he woke up in the early hours of Sunday morning till even this morning I have had to hold him. He has started to feel good enough to play for little bits here and there today so my arms and back are getting a chance to recover.
cuddling and feeling crappy

So between sick kids, in a brand new area and not knowing anyone, a husband being gone and a few things that I rather not share on a blog I hit rock bottom with exhaustion and heartbreak. A few things are starting to look up. I am grateful for the priesthood, church members and modern medicine. Here's hoping for a better week
1 comment:
Oh, Megan, those experiences ARE heartbreaking. I am so sorry. Things will start to look up. They definitely will.
Post a Comment